Tuesday, May 15, 2012

{TWD:BWJ} Pecan Sticky Buns

Butter, butter, butter, butter, butter. This is a recipe that would make Paula Deen proud! :) There are at least 5 and a half sticks of butter in these delectable buns but I think I lost count so there could be more. Welcome back to Tuesdays with Dorie: Baking with Julia!
 I was pretty excited to make these because I have made brioche dough before but realized this was a different technique. It was kind of time consuming..each step wasn't long but the process took a day and a half. First you make the sponge and let it sit, then you make the dough and you let it sit. Then you let it chill over night or for at least 4-6 hours. Then you divide the dough, roll it out, add butter, roll it out, chill. Then you roll the dough out and add the filling and freeze for at least 45 minutes. Then you slice, press a stick of butter into the bottom of a round (high sided) cake pan sprinkle brown sugar and add the rolls. Then you let it rest for 1 1/2 - 2 hours before baking.
 I got up this morning at 4:30 to get the rolls out of the fridge, got up again at 6:15 to put them in the oven and then discovered why you were supposed to have a high sided pan. Several of the rolls were about 4 inches higher than the sides of the pan. As soon as they came out of the oven you were supposed to flip them onto a plate...I am not sure how other bakers did with this but I had to change my shirt as hot melted butter flew out of the pan, onto the stove, the floor and me.
I am not a big fan of nuts in my baked good so I couldn't leave well enough alone. For one batch I made them as the recipe stated, for the other I omitted the nuts and added chocolate chips. :) Yum! They did need a little crunch though...hmm something to think about for next time. The kids and my hubs all loved these. I packed up the remainder though and sent them with Bobby to work. I also packed 2 up for my kiddos teachers but I left them on the counter when I took them to school. Our dog, the goat/trash compactor managed to open the plastic bags and eat both of them along with a bag of M&M's, 2 butter wrappers from the trash and she was starting on the rest of the airshow kettle corn by the time I walked back in the house. Crazy dog!

If you would like the recipe for this you can check out Lynn of Eat Drink Man Woman Dogs Cat or Nicole of Cookies on Friday. Don't forget you an get the book Baking with Julia and bake along as well! :)

12 comments:

Baking is my Zen...sweet nibbles for the soul said...

Karen,

This recipe is not a quick one. But, I'm sure a delicious one. Didn't make it…but, plan to. Great photos!

~Carmen
TWDBWJ member
http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com

4pure said...

It's a delicious recipe and the addition of chocolate sounds great.

mireia badia said...

I'm waiting for them to do the last rise, I will post about them tonight, yours look great!!

Katrina said...

Wow, I went out of town, so I haven't gotten to make these yet. But hearing about the recipe, I might have to save myself from a heart attack and wait a while on these! I'll have to check in to making only 1/4 of the recipe. I want to try to not skip any.
Your rolls looks divine!

Kathy said...

Your sticky buns look gorgeous…great job! Mine also rose quite a bit in the oven.
I made mine over 3 days and took advantage of the refrigeration time.

smarkies said...

Paula Deen would be proud! Looks lovely. :)

Pamela said...

Wow...hope the dog didn't crash too hard after all of that sugar!! Your sticky buns look golden and perfect.

Cakelaw said...

You have such a glorious colour in your buns - lovely. I am not surprised that the dog went for them.

pinkstripes said...

They look great! I need to make them with nuts!

marilyn said...

love the dark brown caramel you got. yikes! hope it was a small bag of m&m's and she didn't get sick!

Cynthia L. said...

I just joined the group, so I have not had a chance to make these. My daughter is home from college and I think we would have fun making these together! Love your photos!

Cher Rockwell said...

I totally had a hot butter down my pants and all over the floor moment when I flipped these. Ugh...
Lovely rolls!