Monday, June 13, 2011

Cooking Club: Arrington Vineyard Edition

This last week was week 1 out of school for the summer. By the end of day one I was convinced I was going to send my daughter to sleepaway camp for the rest of the summer. We have worked things out though and she is going to try to choose to have a good attitude or spend a very large chunk of time alone in her room.

At Arrington Vineyard missing Kenna
I love nothing more than having my kiddos home for the summer but obviously it is an adjustment for all of us as I am the main one they get to spend time with. It is not teachers that they have to listen to and obey and me...just me and daddy when he gets home from work. I have several things I have been doing lately. One is Bunco (which I split the big win with my friend Amy last time) and the other is Cooking club. Now that may not seem like a lot but when I am teaching a couple of classes I feel kind of guilty for going off to do these extra activities. Not this week though.... :)

I
This month was Anne's month to host. Instead of heading to her house, and because it is summer, we decided to head to Arrington Vineyard for dinner. Anne brought the most delicious ingredients for sandwiches and even assembled them for us. They had Brie cheese, Black Forest Ham, Granny Smith apples and Apricot Preserves. She also brought a Greek salad. Knowing that I do not eat black olives she told me to pick them out :) so I did. More for Vanessa. 

                                     
Vanessa brought some delicious Dubliner Irish Cheddar cheese, crackers and some bread. 
Melissa brought a gorgeous fruit salad. Vanessa got a great photo so you will have to go see it on her site
I made Blueberry Brown Sugar Plain cake. This was actually my Tuesdays with Dorie recipe for last week. Cindy at Everyday Insanity chose this and has the recipe on her site. I did finally get it made and everyone really liked it. My kiddos got the leftovers and raved about it!



I know I have mentioned before that I am not much of a drinker. Alcohol gives me heart burn so for the most part I don't really drink. However, we were at a winery and they had a free wine tasting AND they had chocolate truffles to taste with the dessert wine! How could I say no to that. My favorite wine was the raspberry dessert wine. The last wine tasting I went to was at the Biltmore in Ashville, NC with my mom and dad. 

Not only did we get to have some lovely adult conversation we also were able to enjoy beautiful scenery and some mellow live music. We also go to to be a bit silly. :) I highly recommend finding some girlfriends with whom to have dinner and fun conversation. I feel blessed to know these ladies! 

2 comments:

Cindy said...

What a great idea! Good for you! I have a girls weekend a couple of times a year, We live in 6 different states so it takes a bit of planning. Dad's are good to watch the kids. We eat,shop, cook, laugh and sleep. it's necessary! Enjoy.
Thanks for baking along with me, it was a yummy cake!

Melissa said...

Thanks for posting, Karen. I love all the pictures, too! The ones of me are just fabulous...especially the sneaky cheese attack. :)
It was a fun night and I love that we had a great meal without a ton of work. Maybe we should rethink cooking club for the summer. hmmm?