Tuesday, February 17, 2009

{TWD} Devils Food White Out Cake

Stephanie of Confessions of a City Eater chose this weeks recipe. Thanks Stephanie for choosing the cover cake of our illustrious baking club! You can visit her site for the recipe or checkout Tuesdays With Dorie to see how over 300 other bakers did this week.
I have been itching to make this and I am so happy that it was finally chosen.
I realize this is titled Devils Food White Out Cake but as it was Valentines weekend I thought a little red food coloring was in order.

Procrastination is not really my friend and I tend to wait until the last second to read the directions. I found out I needed a candy thermometer and being the newbie I am did not have one on hand. Target is a friend to the procrastinator.

I wanted to make this special for Valentines Day, but ended up making it on Valentines Day. The recipe calls for mini chocolate chips or chopped chocolate. I didn't have either but I did have baking M&Ms. They sunk. Fortunately I had to cut the 2 round cakes in half for the layers. I simply put the two bottom layers as the bottom and top layer. The M&Ms were a delicious addition to this cake.

Making the frosting was a little bit of a challenge for me. I have never made meringue or whipped eggs...except in my failed berry surprise cake. The syrup had to be a specific temperature and had to be poured into the whipped eggs in a way that wouldn't scramble them. I think my syrup got a little too hot as the little drips turned into hard candy practically as soon as they hit the counter. It did mix well though so all was well in the end.

To get the cute heart on top I pulled out my trusty heart shaped cookie cutter. I was pretty thrilled with how this cake turned out. The real test was to come though with hubby and kiddos.

They all loved it! A+ all the way around. Bobby really liked the M&Ms in it so I am glad that I added them.

This is one cake I will definitely be making again. I love the versatility of it too.

26 comments:

Leslie said...

How beautiful! That heart is killer. I'm glad it was a hit at your house too!

Jules Someone said...

This looks just adorable. Nice work!

AmyRuth said...

Oh, its so fun when everyone is excited about your "playing around" adventures.. SCORE! Sometimes those are the best discoveries. So glad yours turned out to be a hit. I like the heart you put on the top. Its fun!
AmyRuth

Cathy said...

You turned this into THE perfect Valentine's Day cake! I'm so glad that it was a big hit. Gotta love when Target saves the day!

Jess said...

That is such a cute cake. And now you have a candy thermometer - I really only started using mine since joining TWD, so I feel like it was worth the few dollars!

~TAMY 3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

Hey fellow 'pink out', I love the heart in the center. Your cake looks fantastic, I can taste it from here.

Amanda said...

Love the heart! This looks great!

bakingwiththeboys said...

This is perfect for Valentine's Day!

Flourchild said...

Your cake is my favorite one I have seen! It's so perfectly cute with the red heart. You did a fablous job!

Katrina said...

Awesome! Love the color for V-day! Great job.

Melissa said...

OH. MY. GOODNESS!! You did an excellent job. I love, love, love that heart in the center of your cake!!!

Andrea said...

What a beautiful cake! I love the pink frosting and the heart and M&M addition, that sounds like so much fun :) Great job on the frosting with it being your first time doing the egg whites, everything looks perfect -- I'm glad it was a hit with your family!

karen said...

i love the pink and the heart. so cute. i messed up my frosting since i didn't use a thermometer, but id didn't care, this was still a delicious cake. :)

Montee said...

YUM!

dharmagirl said...

oh my, this is a dream cake! chocolate + pink = my two favorite things! gorgeous!

thanks for stopping by my blog:)

John, Angela, and Briley Barker said...

Do you have some extra? I'm so impressed!!

pinkstripes said...

I love the VD spin on the cake. What a great idea. I'm glad it was a hit with your family.

Teanna said...

How absolutely gorgeous and festive! I love it!

leanne said...

Love your valentine cake. Perfect heart.

n.o.e said...

Love, love, love your cake. I was going to do the exact same things!! But I didn't make it until Monday, and once Valentine's Day had passed I lost my steam and just wanted to get it done with!
Nancy

mike said...

Your frosting looks great! I had so many problems wiht mine - but your presentation is wonderful - love the heart! One of the nicest cakes I've seen this week!

farah said...

Its so beautiful!! I love the heart and that you put m&m's in it, fantastic! Glad your family enjoyed it :)

B said...

I love the heart!!! So creative.

The Food Librarian said...

This is soooo cute! Love it! The heart is perfect.

TeaLady said...

LOVE the red heart on top. Great job. Pretty cake.

Lillian said...

I love that heart in the middle. Great cake!