Tuesday, October 07, 2008

{TWD} Carmel-Peanut Topped Brownie Cake

This weeks recipe was chosen by Tammy at Wee treats by Tammy.
As my previous posts alluded to I had a scrapbook weekend getaway starting on Friday. I realized at about 3 pm that I was supposed to bring dessert for our community dinner. What better dessert to bring than my Tuesdays with Dorie recipe. Everything started out ok. I had just enough heavy cream left over from Creme Brulee that I didn't even have to go to the store for that.

I had to make the caramel from scratch by watching to see when the sugar, corn syrup and water turned amber. I was a little concerned when it didn't turn when the book said it would but apparently that was a common problem for more than just me. It finally turned and I put the peanuts in to coat.
I thought it looked really pretty and really chocolaty. I am not a fan of nuts in any kind of dessert but Bobby is. That is why I made it this way. I may substitute something else for the topping when making this again.
You can see the freshly made caramel dripping off the sides in these two pictures.
Like I said, I realized kind of late that I was supposed to take dessert. You are supposed to cook the cake completely before putting the topping on and well, I just didn't have time to wait. I think it barely cooled 10 minutes before I started heaping the peanuts and caramel on top. (Quick Edit to add: as I was heaping the gooey deliciousness on Munchkin said "Mommy. Why are you putting baked beans on the cake?") I decided to cut it and leave a big piece for Bobby and the kiddos and this was the result:
Yep, everything ran off the top. I put it in the cupcake carrier and took it up to my retreat. After a delicious dinner prepared by the other ladies there we partook in this now ugly cake. Everyone seemed to like it but one lady picked the peanuts out. She wasn't allergic but they don't like her. And, since I am not a fan of peanuts myself I completely understood.

Bobby said he and Little Man liked it a lot. Munchkin picked out the nuts. A girl after my own heart! :)

Thanks Tammy for choosing such a fun recipe!

21 comments:

Jules Someone said...

Oooops. Oh well. Taste is what matters.

Andrea said...

Glad that this cake was a success for you! I did the complete cooling times and then some, and my cake still looked exactly like your last photo, after the first slice was cut :) Sounds like a fun scrapbooking weekend!

Cathy said...

My cake also looked just like your last photo even though I waited for it to cool!! Something about the weight of the caramel and peanuts, I guess. I am glad the cake was a hit, though! I think your pictures are great!

CB said...

I had caramel-peanut spillage in the center too but I didn't mind licking up off the plate ;) Glad everyone enjoyed the cake (even if it was sans peanuts)!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

pinkstripes said...

Ugh! What a molten mess, but it sure looks yummy. My husband doesn't like peanuts in desserts and picks them out too.

Debbie said...

I haven't started mine yet and since I'm sick I may not make this one. If I feel better this afteroon I might try it but right now I'm not in the mood for something sweet.

Daniel Semsen said...

oh my GOSH that cake looks GOOOOOD...

thanks for the comment on my site!!

Great to hear from you...stop by anytime!

Jodie said...

I love that last pic- At least you didn't overcook your caramel so it was loose enough to pour like that! Any suggestions on how to get a brick of caramel out of the Pyrex measuring cup on my counter? :)

Katrina said...

It looks de-lish! I love the "pool" of caramel and peanuts after you sliced it. That was my favorite part. Did you use ALL the caramel? I didn't.
I'd eat a gooey cake like that any day!

Nickki said...

WOW, it looks so delicious :) I do love all that sticky caramel, how yummy. I understand your thing about peanuts, you either love them or hate them I guess.

The Food Librarian said...

if baked beans were this good, i'd been eating them all the time! there were a bunch of instructions with this one - so what if you missed one of them...you got nice looking caramel!!!

Tammy said...

wow, look at those caramel peanuts! yum!! thanks for making my pick

Mike Spoodles said...

My cake barfed caramel all over the place too. It's still good, of course, but a little unwieldy (especially if you're trying to distribute slabs to family and friends).

saundra said...

I had that happen once with a turtle cheesecake. It had a layer of chocolate on the top, then you added caramel mixed with pecans. Very yummy, but it really did go everywhere when we sliced it. The key with that one was to chill it for several hours before serving.

By the way, the first glance at your top blog picture of your kids in the field..the first thing that came to mind was the opening scenes of Little House on the Prairie where the girls are running down that big hill. :)

steph- whisk/spoon said...

woah--peanut (or baked bean!)avalanche! looks delicious, tho. :)

Lauren said...

Nice job.

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Looks delicious!

BAKE-EN said...

Wow, if I was at your retreat, I would have taken just a helping of the caramel and peanuts... it looks so good :)

craftyjuicebroker said...

Your cake looks delicious!I really didn't care for the peanuts on my cake.

Cherie
*Weekly Giveaways on my blog!
http://www.craftyjuicebroker.wordpress.com

*Sale in my Etsy Store!
http://www.craftyjuicebroker.etsy.com

Barbara said...

Love your oozing caramel! I'd have headed for that cake straight away!

LyB said...

I love that drippy caramel! Delicious! :)