Monday, August 29, 2005

Katrina

Well, the hurricane has been downgraded to a tropical storm. I am thankful that we will not be getting the brunt of the storm here but know we are in for a fairly sleepless night. We hardly sleep when we have big thunderstorms because we are worried about tornados so tonight I am sure I will be sitting in front of the TV at 1 am when our official tropical storm watch goes into effect seeing if any tornados or big winds are going to hit us.

We have a tree out front that will hopefully survive the storm. My neighbor doesn't seem to think there is anything wrong with it but to me it looks like there is a very large crack in it and there is some dry rot at the bottom. I need to peek out the window and see if anyone is parked where the tree can land on their car.

It is such an odd thing to see all of the schools being closed due to a storm. There are snow days here when we get less than an inch and the kids get to stay home but this is even more odd. It makes sense if there are going to be 50MPH gusts of wind but it is still strange. I have to call in the morning and see if my baby's physical therapy is cancelled. Honestly I don't want to drive in the storm. Hopefully we can reschedule.

Please keep the people in New Orleans and the areas that have been hit with the hurricane in your prayers. One article I read said that we could have a refugee camp here in the US of over 1 million people.

No comments: